Why Oil Search?
As a growing Papua New Guinean company, Oil Search operates all of the country’s producing oil elds, holds an extensive appraisal and exploration portfolio and has a 29% interest in the PNG LNG Project. With exciting growth opportunities like the potential expansion of the PNG LNG Project and proposed development of the Papua LNG Project ahead of us, Oil Search is a great place to discover and explore your potential.
About the role
Seeking an experienced Geological Advisor with 15+ years of experience
Papuan Oil Search Limited (Oil Search) was established in Papua New Guinea in 1929 and is the country’s largest oil producer and private employer. Over 95% of its assets are in PNG, where it holds oil and gas production and exploration licences plus a 29% interest in the US$19 billion PNG LNG Project. This world class liquefied natural gas (LNG) development, which delivered its first LNG sales in May 2014, has quadrupled Oil Search’s production and transformed the Company into a major LNG exporter. Oil Search has a clear strategy to drive future growth and are pursuing opportunities in Alaska and the development of three additional LNG trains in PNG.
The Geological Advisor is an integral part of the team responsible for maximising value from the company’s growing production and development assets. He/she will be accountable for applying appropriate techniques and, where applicable, latest technologies, to provide robust and defendable reservoir models and depletion plans, identification of new opportunities, optimisation of production and efficient depletion of the fields’ reserves in the most economical manner.
Accountabilities & Responsibilities:
The position will combine a strong technical bias, functional leadership and supervision, and provision of expert opinion across the business. This will be achieved by a combination of the following:
- Participating in Reservoir Development leadership debate and decision making
- Maximising value through the continuous development of advanced geological models, and the identification and implementation of opportunities, including new wells, to increase production and reserves from developed and undeveloped reservoirs.
- Efficient integration of key geological work flows and concepts within and beyond the subsurface discipline.
- Maturing and delivering robust workover and new well opportunities in Oil Search’s operated development assets.
- Providing peer advice within the reservoir development team and to exploration and emerging business units, providing subject matter expertise where relevant across the business.
- Strong mentoring and coaching skills to facilitate the technical development of all subsurface staff
- Identifying opportunities for the application of new and emerging technologies
- Ensuring compliance with OSL’s HSES policies and standards in all activities.
- Updating and build new geological models of fields and near-field prospects using Petrel, leading to the identification of new development opportunities, the continuous improvement in the quality of reservoir simulation models, field depletion plans and reserves estimation, and support for field equity determinations.
- Undertaking and coordinating integrated well justification, design, planning and drilling activities to ensure delivery of well objectives.
- Identifying new well and workover opportunities and support the maintenance of the development well hopper.
- Implementation of Development Geoscience best practices and ensuring adherence to Oil Search standards, policies and guidelines
- Ensuring integration of and consistency between engineering and geological interpretations by collaborating with reservoir and petroleum engineers, petrophysicists and structural geologists.
- Clearly demonstrating and communicating the risks and uncertainties in all geoscience assessments and activities.
- Ensuring consistent methodology is applied in the provision of estimates of hydrocarbons in-place and reserves.
- Managing work priorities and professional development.
- Supervising and mentoring less experienced staff in all aspects of development geoscience.
- Representing the Company at technical committee meetings and workshops.
This position is offered on a full-time basis. Oil Search is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion.
How to apply
If you would like to be a part of a diverse and multicultural team, we invite you to apply.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Applications close: Friday 9 August 2019